Here’s the latest entry
Here’s chapter 6, and it’s May 6th! This chapter starts out with Solomon telling his son not to pledge something to his neighbor, which means, lending him money, or giving him some other provision with a promise that he will repay you. Why? Because you will most likely get caught, maybe he points something out in the contract that you hadn’t seen that said you needed to do some thing you couldn’t do. But he says that if it does happen you must go to your neighbor and plead with him to let you out of it. He even says not to go to sleep till you have because this is a dangerous situation. Then he quotes a proverb that is so useful: “GO to the ant O sluggard, consider he ways and be wise.” Then he goes on to give a description of the ant, here’s a short list.
- She prepares everything for winter in the summer, without anyone telling her to!
- The colonies have no leader, and yet they all work together and get along just fine!
- An ant can carry up to fifty times its own weight! They can also carry it for long distances, and even climb trees with it! This could be compared with a human picking up a small car and carrying it several miles, and then, while still carrying the car, walking up a tall mountain!
Are we that diligent? No! (At least, I’m not) It takes me till December 20 to get all my Christmas shopping done, definitely not “preparing for winter in the summer”! That is a great reminder to be more diligent, but Solomon then gives an even greater incentive to get out of bed and get going. He says “A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, and poverty will come upon you like a robber, and want like an armed man.” How scary is that!
Then Solomon lists six things that are an abomination to God
- Haughty eyes (Being proud, thinking you’re better than someone else)
- A lying tongue (Have you ever lied?)
- Hands that shed innocent blood (Murder)
- Heart that devises wicked plans (It’s easy to start planning revenge on that brother who scared you out of your wits last night)
- Feet that make haste to run to evil (Do we ever want to be around evil people or things?)
- A false witness that lies and sows discord (lack of harmony between people)
These are all physical things! I’ve made bold the body parts so it’s easy to see them. Wow, that’s a lot of things that sound awfully familiar, like maybe I’ve done some of them before! Today I’m going to make sure that I don’t have haughty eyes.